Bertie, our school dog, is a 2 year old cockapoo; which is a cross between a cocker spaniel and a poodle. This breed has been careful selected due to it’s calm nature and ideal temperament.
Bertie will spend his days working with small groups children from across the school. Sometimes he will even help us out by looking after anyone who is feeling a bit sad – a little stroke and a look into those big brown eyes is enough to make anyone feel happy again.
There are many benefits to having a school dog, including:
- a calming effect on pupils
- improved behaviour and concentration
- reduced stress and improved self-esteem
- encouraging participation in more withdrawn children
- fostering a sense of responsibility
- encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers
- teaching children to nurture and respect life
We hope that the children of Rudston will gain a great deal of enjoyment from having Bertie in school!