Welcome to our Year 5 classes of 2020/21 – Attlee and Chavasse!
Here, you’ll be able to find an overview of what we are learning each term. Additionally, please find some useful downloads at the bottom this page.
Our PE days are on a Tuesday and Wednesday. If there is anything else you may require, please do not hesitate to speak to Mr Clarke or Miss Jones. In addition to Mr Clarke and Miss Jones, the Year Five team is joined by Miss Conway and Ms Hewitt. You can find our Twitter feed below but do feel free to follow directly @rudstony5.
End of year expectations for Year 5
The National Curriculum outlines these expectations as being the minimum requirements your child must meet in order to ensure continued progress. All the objectives will be worked on throughout the year and will be the focus of direct teaching. Any extra support you can provide in helping your children to achieve these is greatly valued.
- Summarises main points of an argument or discussion within their reading & makes up own mind about issue/s.
- Can compare between two texts.
- Appreciates that people use bias in persuasive writing.
- Appreciates how two people may have a different view on the same event.
- Prediction, inference & deduction Intonation and Expression
- Draw inferences and justify with evidence from the text. Varies voice for direct or indirect speech.
- Uses more than one source when carrying out research. Creates set of notes to summarise what has been read.
- Sentence & text structure
- Add phrases to make sentences more precise & detailed.
- Use range of sentence openers – judging the impact or effect needed.
- Begin to adapt sentence structure to text type.
- Use pronouns to avoid repetition.
- Uses brackets, dashes and commas.
- Commas to clarify meaning or avoid ambiguity.
- Link clauses in sentences using a range of subordinating & coordinating conjunctions.
- Use verb phrases to create subtle differences (e.g. she began to run)
- Consistently organize into paragraphs.
- Link ideas across paragraphs using adverbials of time (e.g. later), place (e.g. nearby) and number (e.g. secondly).
- Legible and fluent style.
- Counting & ordering
- Count forwards & backward with positive & negative numbers through zero.
- Count forwards/backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1000000.
- Compare & order numbers with 3 decimal places.
- Read Roman numerals to 1000.
- Tables & multiples
- Identify all multiples & factors, including finding all factor pairs.
- Use known tables to derive other number facts.
- Bonds & Facts
- Recall prime numbers up to 19.
- Place value & rounding
- Recognise Place value of any number up to 1000000.
- Round any number up to 1000000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10000 or 100000.
- Round decimals with 2 decimal places to nearest whole number & 1 decimal place
- Add & subtract Numbers with more than 4-digits using efficient written method (column) and numbers with up to 2decimal
- Multiply and divide 4-digits by 1-digit
- Multiply & divide whole numbers & decimals by 10, 100 & 1000
- Count up/down in thousandths.
- Recognise mixed numbers & fractions & convert from one to another.
- Multiply proper fractions by whole numbers.
- Solve time problems using timetables and converting between different units of time.